The outdoor LED display is not only an information media, but also a unique symbol of the city’s image.
Near summer, the temperature is getting hotter and hotter, is your LED display operating temperature soaring?
Why does the display need to dissipate heat?
The temperature of the display is closely related to its performance. The temperature is too high and directly affects the working efficiency of the screen:
1. Wavelength drift: The wavelength drift affects the color correction of the display. When the temperature of the LED display changes greatly, the wavelength drift is large.
2. Reduce the luminous efficiency of the LED display.
3. High junction temperature leads to shortened LED life.
4. Increase the light fade of the LED display.
5. Internal circuit uses too much heat dissipating component, resulting in increased cost
Display cooling solution
So, how can outdoor LED displays calmly cope with hot weather?
- Using the principle of air fluid mechanics, the convective air is created by the shape of the lamp housing.
2. The heat-dissipating shell is used for heat dissipation, and the heat-conducting material is filled during the injection molding of the outer casing to increase the heat conduction and heat-dissipating ability
3. Use aluminum fins as part of the enclosure to increase heat dissipation area.
4. The lamp housing is subjected to surface radiation heat treatment, and part of the heat can be radiated away from the surface of the lamp housing.
5. High brightness efficiency LEDs. But this may lead to a high cost LED display.
6.. Use the outdoor common cathode LED screen to save the worry of heat dissipation and improve the efficiency of the display!
What is common cathode LED display ?
The LED chipset has two terminals, an anode and a cathode, and each full color LEDs consists of three LED chipset. (red, green and blue).
In traditional Common Anode designs, the terminals of all 3 (red, green & blue) LEDs are wired together and an external ballast resistor is added in series with the red LED to maintain a constant voltage and equalize the voltage drop across all three LEDs. This subsequently reduces available space for the LEDs making fine pixel pitch harder to achieve, while it is also an additional heat source and accelerates the aging process and reduces the lifetime.
In Common Cathode technology, separate, dedicated power supply voltages are supplied to the red, green and blue LEDs enabling the power supplied to the red LED to be controlled separately and eliminating the requirement for a ballast resistor.
What is the benefits of common cathode for outdoor LED display ?We did a new temperature rising test between common cathode P3.84 outdoor LED display and common anode P3.84 outdoor LED display.
1. Environment temperature / 25 ° C
2. Wind / Breeze
3. Testing product : Common cathode P3.84 outdoor LED display/ Common anode P3.84 outdoor LED display
Test requirements: Facing the sun and white balance 255 gray scale on the display white.
After 5 minutes :
After 10 minutes :
At this time, the average temperature of the common anode display and the common cathode LED screen differ by about 18 ° C. The image captured by the infrared camera screen shows that the high temperature area of the common anode display surface is dotted, while the surface temperature distribution of the common cathode screen is relatively high average.